Dissolving of Xanthum gum & Guar gum is a widely used process in the food industry providing thickening and stabilizing of flavours, emulsions, and suspensions. Xanthum gum forms gel type material, thus forms huge lumps or agglomerates, thus making the dispersion difficult. Therefore, perfect hydration of the same in the aqueous phase leads to a perfect stable product may bit be emulsions or suspensions.
PROBLEMS WITH CONVECTIONAL MIXING PROCEDURE:
1. Agglomeration: Xanthum gum being dissolved in the water may it be hot or cold have a tendency to form agglomerates, thus a high shear force is required to dissolve the same.
2. Higher concentration solutions are difficult to dissolve as hydration becomes difficult as the solution becomes viscous.
3. Higher lead time for mixing leads to degradation of the product and thus affecting the quality of the product.
4. In case the gums are not perfectly hydrated, leads to undesirable product and the concentration levels vary for the product.
HIGH SHEAR HOMOGENIZERS:
Wahal range of high shear mixers are a perfect solution to achieve desired homogeneous solution of gums by perfecting hydrating the powders in the water in a much faster processing time than any convectional method. The selection of the homogenizer depends on the desired stability of the solution as well as the throughput required.
Wahal homogenizers work on the principal of shear force being produced being a set of rotor and stator due material being flown in between the least tolerance thus causing the material to be sheared. The material is being sucked in from the rotor and thrown outwards to the stator walls due to the high centrifugal force produced due to the rotor and the material is sheared in between the rotor and stator to provide the end results.
1. Intank Batch Type Homogenizer:
- Suitable for smaller batches up to a maximum of 800 Liters.
- Portable model to enable usage in a multiple vessels.
- Wide range of stator designs to make it versatile for a wide range of applications .
2. Inline High Shear Homogenizer:
- Works best even for higher batch sized up to 10 kL.
- Wide range of models to choose from: Single Stage, Two Stage & Four Stage Model.
- Most efficient method for dispersion and results in most superior quality.
ADVANTAGES OF HIGH SHEAR HOMOGENIZERS:
- Most stable product with maximum yield/functionality resulting in lesser concentration of gums and thus reducing product cost
- Agglomerate free products thus resulting in the consistency of the solution
- Rapid mixing times thus no chances of degradation while processing.
- Premixing of gums/non-aqueous solution is not required.
- Much more consistent product with repeatability.